18 July 2006

Paradise found

I've only got a few days left in Tanzania before I fly home and couldn't think of anything better than escaping the cold and dreariness of Arusha and spending my last weekend in Zanzibar.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I spent a few hours on the beach enjoying the sun and tranquility. The boys collected seaweed, the men built dhows and, amazingly, I was the only tourist in sight!

I stayed in a gorgeous hotel in Shangani, the area of Stonetown that's made up of a million tiny side streets lined with street stalls selling Tingatinga paintings, Indian sari's, Arabic antiques, African wood carvings, Masai beaded jewelry. Just about anything you can imagine (and many things you can't) are for sale, and if you bargain hard enough, at very cheap prices. I went to Stonetown with every intention of leaving with nothing more than I came with but ended up with a painting, a handful of necklaces, a new pair of shoes and a couple of masai masks. So much for resisting temptation.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I spent my evenings wandering around Forodhani gardens, one of the most amazing places I've ever been. There are dozens of artists selling their wares on the blanket covered pavements, beadwork and carving proudly displayed.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and dozens more chefs with tables piled high with delicious food. I managed to eat and drink for less than $1!

No comments: