02 July 2006

Gorillas in the mist

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This morning we set off early to the gorilla trekking base camp in Kinigi. After splitting into small groups we piled into a 4-wheel drive and bounced around the horrendous roads as far as could, then got out and walked up the volcano. After only about half an hour, I suddenly felt really faint and ill. My legs turned to jelly, I saw stars, I thought my stomach was going to explode. I thought I was going to have to turn back: I was only at the base of the volcano and already felt ill, we had at least an hour trekking in front of us at a much steeper grade than we had climbed so far. The guide told me to sit down, and after resting a few minutes and splashing cold water on my face and neck I felt much better. I got up again and started walking at the front of the group, much more slowly, with rests every few minutes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The views from the volcano were incredible - we were surrounded by volcanic peaks and lush, thick vegetation. We climbed carefully, in addition to the altitude the prickly stinging nettles went straight through our clothes. What seemed like a very short time later, we turned a corner and came face to face with an enormous mountain gorilla! We spent an hour with the gorillas scrambling down the volcano through the nettles in a game of cat and mouse with the giant animals. The group we encountered had four babies - a couple of them played games running in circles around us and peeking out from the trees long enough for us to catch up with them before charging downhill again.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
one of the babies, peering through the brush at me

Just as we were about to leave, the silverback (or chief) of the family stampeded down the volcano and stopped directly in front of us.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha,

Your trips sounds amazing.

Sam.

PS - I'm so proud of you, and proud to be your friend.

PPS - I'm living in NYC 15th Jul - 19th Aug if you are around.

Natasha said...

it is :) it's incredible to be here, I feel so lucky every day and so inadequate at the same time.

Last night Abby and I went out to dinner; even though we split our meal we had far too much food. We invited the street kids hanging around to join us in broken Swahili. They hadn't finished when the restaurant staff shooed them away, so we gave them a bit of money when we left so they could buy some and they asked for more. And then we saw more and more kids.

Jayne said...

Hi there,
Just wanted to tell you your photos of the Gorillas are amazing!!! I am trying hard to find information on the trek itself-it's level of difficulty, type of terrain we will be hiking through etc. We want to know how to prepare physically for the trek as we have heard it is extremely physically demanding. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. Jayne.

Natasha said...

hi Jayne - I'd be happy to help, send me an email and I'll get back to you - natashazoe@hotmail.com