15 June 2005

Goodbye Mwanza

Sadly, after a month at the orphanage, most of the other volunteers and I were concerned about the accounting and felt that the director was not being entirely straight with us. Although it must be emphasized we have no proof of any wrong doing, the prices Fred quoted us for things seemed to be extremely high. Whether the reason for this was because he assumed we had loads of money and wasn't bargaining or something more sinister, I didn't feel comfortable handing over cash to Hisani. I decided it was best to give things, not money, to Hisani. The children loved the toys and colouring supplies I brought with me. Unfortunately, the dresses I had made for the girls weren`t ready on my last day, so Rachel has promised to pick up the dresses next week and take photos so I can post them on here. Over the past few weeks I have talked to Joseph at length and seen how transparent his accounting and fundraising is and that his participation in the community is truly making a difference to so many lives. I decided that the leftover money I had fundraised would go much farther at Fonelisco and gave him US$100 for his orphans.

Although there were times I felt I was loosing an uphill battle, I learned so much at Hisani and I will always treasure my time there. The memories of the children's love, hope and resilience in the face of such overwhelming hardship will continue to inspire me. I loved teaching and playing with them, and saying goodbye on Wednesday night was one of the hardest things I`ve ever done. To be completely honest, I only lasted an hour at the goodbye dinner because I was too upset to stay any longer.

1 comment:

Lees said...

Hello

I found you blog when I did a search for Buswelu and I have just returned home from there. I was working with the Hisani orphanage. Both Hisani and Watoto orphanage are now supported by kids aid tanzania and volunteer africa (who went did the project through) Just thought you would like to know that the kids are doing FABULOUS and are all well and healthy! We took them all for HIV tests again (as the old records were "misplaced") and they are all negative which is great!

The Hisani orphanage is growing with a new classroom and toilet/shower block and a new building for the boys.

It was funny to read that Fred hasn't changed as we still are a bit suspicious towards where the money is going!

Here is a link aswell to my pictures that I took at Hisani so you can see how much the kids have grown! It was amazing seeing your pictures and how little they were!

http://picasaweb.google.com/leesacheree

Wish you all the best
Lees