28 March 2007

Kibuye and Kiziba camp

I didn't realise the buses ran so infrequently to Kibuye (every two hours) and only just caught the last one on Saturday arriving after dark. Kibuye is quite small and there were no taxis about, only moto-taxis, and as I was travelling with my suitcase the only possibility of getting to the guesthouse was on foot. After a few minutes walking I was joined by a young man who offered to carry my suitcase for me. Being somewhat paranoid I turned him down but he kept walking with me asking some questions in English and French, both of us struggling to communicate. When I arrived at the guesthouse about half an hour later he said au revoir and turned around and walked back up the hill we'd just come down. I realised too late he'd been walking with me just to make sure I'd gotten there safely.



In the morning I was so glad to have a full day to rest before going to the camp. The views of Lake Kivu were beautiful and I spent several hours walking around the village exploring. Eventually I found a small beach used by the residents to bathe and fish from and spread out my towel to sunbathe. Every few minutes different groups of children would come and talk to me or passersby stopped to stare.


On Monday I met up with some of the NGO staff and set off for Kiziba refugee camp. It was then that I realised Kibuye is small: when I was introduced to a couple of the workers they told me they'd seen me sunbathing the day before! The camp is about half an hour from Kibuye down a road which at times is incredibly bumpy and you can easily invision slipping over the edge in a downpour. It was without a doubt the worst road I've seen in Rwanda, the workers laughed when I said that and told me it used to be much worse.


The stories I heard in Kiziba were similar to those I'd heard in Gihembe: the refugees didn't have enough firewood, food or sheeting and other materials to build houses. They often had to sell the few things they were given so they could provide more nutricious food, clothes and other things for their families. Kiziba also has a severe land shortage and is housing the seventeen and a half thousand refugees that live there on less than half the amount of land they should have for that number. In addition to overcrowding, it means that latrine and shower facilities are stretched thin and there was a real concern of a cholera outbreak in the camp should it be brought in from outside (there are reports of cholera at the moment in nearby Gisenyi so this is a very real threat).


While I was at Kiziba, I met the handicapped women's association (above) who, with the help of a microcredit programme in the camp, make lovely colourful bags and sell them. Since they began they've expanded from just a couple of members to training more than twenty who are now able to supplement their provisions with income from the association. It takes two women a whole week to create the bags which they sell for 6000 Rwandan Francs (about US$12).


This morning I ate breakfast and said goodbye to Kibuye while enjoying views of Lake Kivu and the Congo in the distance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is difficult to imagine how you can keep your goodwill after listening histories like the ones at the refugees camp. I wonder if those people would not cause the same unfairness to the others if they had the means, but this could be a cinical excuse for doing nothing. Right now my main concern is to get a kitchen improvement from the real state dealer for the home I bought, wich makes me feel embarrased reading how you and others committ themselves helping people condemned to starvation, ignorance and brutality.
The man who walked with you in kibuye. I had some experiences like that, I could not sleep well after feeling I hurt someone who just wanted to be good and friendly to me. Anyway the picture in my mid of you towing your suitcase with the man by that dusty road is absolutely charming :)
I had another similar experience in Vietnam like your kids on the bus station to Nymata, felt distressed running out of money and putting and end to my trip. Sometimes pursues and tortures me.
So let´s do something.
I hope you will upload pics and the experience of your inminent wedding, after all will be a long, long trip. I hope relations with your mam and grandma are fully restored and they wellcomed finally your hubby. If not I hope that will be accomplish soon. I wish all the luck for boh of you.

majadero

Anonymous said...

Its realy an impressing story. All in all its just luck of an awareness. I wish media could play part in suporting the majority since then only by letting the world know of the hidden agenda.
Its a story of sympathy at one end and still a heart giving.
I loved the most of the said handicapped who latter jioned and formed a group of 20 members but my sorrow was luck of having someone to represent them widely.
That wasnt the life they would live in however in a camp as they would be betteroff due to the craft they they had involved in.
Its devastating much when you just try figure out on how much one of the ornament would go for here in town and whet they earned through them.
We have been venturing into casuals and here is where they would have been lifted through.
By ther way we still have to agree that life was to go on but atleast I would wish prosperity that once they shall be known worldwide and come out of what they are in.
Please Am ready to market their arts anywhere I will be to bring change out of their own work of hand.
will be glad to read from whoever is still communicating to them through
fbuganzi@yahoo.com.