21 September 2006

Mandatory testing

I'm in the middle of a mad bout of work and apologise for not posting frequently... can't imagine it changing for the next month or so but I will try to write if I need a bit of distraction.

I was just scanning the Washington Post online and noticed the CDC Recommends HIV Tests for All Americans 13-64. My initial reaction was that's great, maybe regular testing will both normalise the disease and send the message home that anyone can get HIV. Then I saw this:

Patients wouldn't get tested every year: Repeated, annual testing would only be recommended only for those at high-risk.

There would be no consent form specifically for the HIV test; it would be covered in a clinic or hospital's standard care consent form. Patients would be allowed to decline the testing.

and my heart sank. If only people that are 'high risk' are getting tested every year, then it reinforces the notion that you have to be sexually deviant to contract the virus. It also seems really sneaky to include consent in the standard consent form but then only test the people you are suspicious of. Wouldn't it be much better just to test everyone annually?

No comments: