20 May 2005

The first week...

has flown by. It feels like I've been here forever, or at least it's been forever since I was anywhere but here. Time seems to stand still and rush past at the same time in Tanzania.

The past couple of days my morning class has grown- I now have eight students in the nursery class. Sabina is my favourite but she's a little monkey and very smart. All week Sabina has talked nonstop for the two hour class. She starts with "Madam" very loudly and then says loads of things which are gibberish to me. Grace, the lady that runs the Hisani Centre, told me that Sabina is correcting my Swahili when she does this. Everything I give her to do she races through and does very well. Today I think she was a bit bored and naughty so I made her sit behind the blackboard for a few minutes as punishment, when she came back to class she seemed really embarrassed and made me feel quite guilty. By the end of class she was happy again and walked back into the village with the other volunteers and I.

You can find my pictures here.

Last night all the volunteers went out for Chinese at a really swanky place. It was absolutely fabulous, and a VERY welcome change from rice and beans. After the meal, Max and I talked to Robert, our waiter, who told us about living in Tanzania. He usually works a 'double' (from ten am till after midnight) in the restaurant and takes home what is considered a "really good wage" in Mwanza - about $100 a month. Although we had a really lovely evening, it really put things into perspective. What the ten of us had just spent on dinner Robert earned in a month of working incredibly hard.

No comments: